Moonlight - Gay, black, drug dealer who comes out (may contain spoilers)

This is an emotional independent "arty" film set in the 1980's Miami, a coming of age drama / character study. With an all black cast, the protagonist has no father figure, but finds a surrogate father in Juan (who heads a local drug-dealing gang), he lives in an urban ghetto, life is harsh. His mother is a drug addict, who is a prostitute to earn money for feed her drug problem.

The story is played over 3 acts.

Act 1; the child "Little" - He has difficulty making human connections except for Juan. 
Act 2; the teenager "Chiron" - Suffers bullying at school, begins to discover who he is and his sexuality, is betrayed by Kevin after his first homosexual encounter with him. 
Act 3; the adult "Black" - Grows very strong, a confident drug dealer, comes out.

An interesting plot, but not without problems. After Juan was painted as an important influence on "Little" I was left wondering what happened to him in acts two and three. 

The film ends very abruptly, I'm sure the intention was for the viewer to fill in the blanks, although I anticipated this might have been the type of ending to expect and this made the anti-climax frustrating for me. 

Though a good film, it isn't excellent. I really wanted to like this film a lot more than I did. 
Over-hyped for me, or I probably missed something! (Sorry B.F.I.)

7/10.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legend – a paranoid schizophrenic walks into a bar!

THOR Ragnarok – the best of the 3 standalone's (may contain spoilers)

Hereditary - tragic family drama