A Street Cat Named Bob - Should have been a feel good film

Whenever I see a film listed as based on a true story, or a British made film I'm immediately attracted. In this case I could tick both boxes and was compelled to view.

Based on a best-selling book about a busker who is a recovering drug addict (James), the film starts in a promising manner with James eating discarded food from bins, he's emotionally down, and he's extremely hungry, hence the need to eat 'rubbish'. Unfortunately, this level of grit is not maintained.

Of course, James has a love interest (Betty), who is an animal loving vegan. I'm afraid I found her acting terrible and a little bit irritating.

The other main 'actor' was the cat (Bob), played by himself.

Bob 'adopts' James and apparently helps to turn his life around. James suffers several knock-backs along the way, pretty much as soon as things start looking up. For instance… He's busking, gets in a fight, is arrested and subsequently banned from Covent Garden. He then starts selling The Big Issue, encroaches on another seller's patch and is subsequently banned.

Actually the real star is probably the publishing rep, who sees him busking several times and the assigned ghost writer, from the point the book is published is the point things really start looking up!

Although this film has its heart in the right place, I must comment that after seeing "I-Daniel Blake" I immediately made a food bank donation, and I generally don't do charity. After seeing "A Cat Named Bob" I felt NOTHING! I'm not compelled to donate to charity, or adopt a cat, or think about this film again.

Pretty much rubbish.

3/10.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legend – a paranoid schizophrenic walks into a bar!

THOR Ragnarok – the best of the 3 standalone's (may contain spoilers)

Hereditary - tragic family drama